17.2.08

Showing up

Delight yourself in the Lord
and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37: 4

I found this verse this morning and I personally think it holds so much thought for reflection! The hardest thing to do is to have faith in the Lord when the chips are down. We are easy to despair, this is not unusual; this is what makes us human. There are many self-help books available. There are several activities that we can involve ourselves in to lift our drooping spirits. But in all these things- which also come to us from our loving God- we need to keep our eyes on Him. I know its hard. I know what it's like to want to kill myself. I know what it's like to renounce God and to do my 'own thing'. But I also know that the moment I fixed my eyes and my mind and my soul on Him, He has held me closely to His side.

By "desires of your heart" I understand that it does not mean favours or privileges. I take it to mean that which I desperately need for the health of my soul and mind and spirit. Perhaps I need freedom from fear or freedom from negativity, perhaps I need to build assertion, slef-confidence, perhaps I need to learn how to respect my elders/ figures of authority. We all have areas that are lacking. Some may be obvious for all to know, but some lie within our hidden selves. We may be aware of them but are afraid to seek help/ guidance. We may have guilt about these hidden areas. But He knows. He always knows what you will not say. B'cos He is all-knowing and all-powerful. Jesus heals. Whatever your hardship/ sorrow/ shame/ sin/ shortcoming......keep your eyes on Him.

This doesnt mean you have to suddenly start making drastic changes or start something you're uncomfortable with just to get back with the Lord. Perhaps you've stopped going to church, stopped praying. Start small, but start somewhere. Perhaps you could start with some personal prayer. Pray to a favourite saint. Listen to some gospel music- there are several diff gospel artists appealing to every age group today. Subscribe to a daily bible passage that comes into your email inbox every morning. Above all, make the Holy Spirit your companion. You will find yourself motivated and energised and able to make the appropriate decisions for your life.

Show up and show faith. And He WILL give you the desires of your heart :)

No comments: