16.2.08

The Happy Homemaker

More than three years ago, I gave up a job I loved very much. It had become more than a job. The money wasn't any compensation for the amount of time I was expected to be 'available'. Eventually I became a stressed out girl. I didnt have time to be home, I didnt have time to spend with my husband whom I was dating at the time, I didnt have time for anything. I did however make it a point to attend Sunday Mass. I say I loved this job very much b'cos I excel at this particular field of work. However, my job was slowly taking over my entire life.

Hence, just before we were married, I quit. I was emotionally drained and didnt want to take up a similar job in another organisation. I knew that sooner than later I would be back to being stressed with absolutely no time for home or family. Being a homemaker is not easy. My mother has always been a homemaker. Like me, she too gave up her job when we kids were born. I made every effort to learn about my new 'job profile'. Friends and others ridiculed me for this decision. But I firmly pressed on- I disagree that one's self worth/ identity only comes from having a 'job' outside of the home. As a homemaker I soon realised that there was plenty to do and then some. And when I had quiet moments, there were enough resources available to me online that gave me much- needed inspiration to learn something new. Over the course of our first year of marriage, I mastered the art of making candles and held a successful sale that Christmas!!! The ridicule never stopped. At times it became all too much to bear. But I knew in my heart that I had made the best possible decision in order to have a healthy family life. Over time, I have equipped myself with the necessary skills, and now work out of home as a freelance copy and content writer. I am able to earn, I am able to keep home, and I am able to have quality time with family and friends.

I came across a couple of neat sites today by Melissa Ringstaff whose homemaking philosophy is deeply inspired by Proverbs 31. I am so touched by her thinking and from what I've seen on her websites, I feel compelled to share them.

http://www.practicalhomemaking.com/timeforgod.htm Do read the article on 'Making Time for God'.....no matter what you're vocation, age, gender, Im sure it will encourage you to seek God in your own way everyday.

http://www.avirtuouswoman.org/ This website is the Proverbs 31 Ministry which Im sure is for every wife and mother, and every woman who is proud to keep home! The site has fantastic resources sure to help you with your daily struggles at managing the house.

Prayer for the Day
"God will make a way, where there seems to be no way."

No comments: